D-NOSES: Optimizing Waste Management and Reducing Odour Pollution Through Citizen Science
INVEST IN OUR COLLECTIVE FUTURE
Running a non-profit is a full-time job. We do it every waking moment. It takes us thousands of hours and dollars to research, coordinate and produce content which will remain free for a global audience. We are investing in our collective future through be Waste Wise.
Please make your investment in our collective future through a donation:
QUICK SUMMARY & QUOTESROSA ARIAS, Founder, Science for Change
There is no transparency with the citizens, there is no regulation that protect the citizens at the global level
- The OdourCollect is an app that can map collaboratively with the citizens the situation in an area and then validate the data and talk with the industries to establish good practices and operations in the plant.
- The traditional way to measure odor pollution is to take samples from chimneys or the basins or other emission points and estimate the impact in the area with a dispersion model.
- It is an expensive method and less accurate because only the average levels of emissions can be seen. However, with the app we can apply the same dispersion model but in real time and it is cost effective.
- It is a pioneer project and we are doing 10 different pilots case studies in 10 different countries who will be working in different areas with different odor problem and we will be testing our methodology with the traditional methods.
It will be necessary to engage with the community in the area that wants to participate in the pilot but also we need to have the support of the industries and the environmental authorities.
- We would provide guidelines for applicability after the pilots are done and we will replicate the model in other communities.
- The future of the project is to provide consultancy in odor pollution with this new methodology and also replicate the same citizen science model for tackling other environmental or societal issues helped by the data gathered by citizens.
- Making the project sustainable over time is necessary because putting odor pollution in the map and influence other policies and regulations so citizens, industries and local authorities can be protected in a suitable way.
- Training citizens regularly that participate in the studies by taking them to the source and explain to them the generated process that happens for example in waste management then they remember the smell and check the first observations from the first week then they are capable of identifying different types of odors.
Odor pollution depends basically on two factors, one is the older emissions that they can be reduced by confining the odors and treating them in some facilities like a scrubber by a filter and second, which is very important are meteorological conditions.
- Meteorological conditions can affect the amount of odor significantly even if the emissions are the same, if the dominant wind is blowing towards the citizens then the situation can be unbearable.
- Another thing that needs to be identified are the bad dispersion conditions for the emissions.
We want to install a sense of correspond stability also in the citizens because we all generate waste and someone needs to deal with it.